- Defended New South Wales Supreme Court action in which co-operation claimed equitable damages arising from a deed drafted by a solicitor. Issues also included conflict of interest and agency.
- Defended ACT Supreme Court action involving developer/head contractor claiming damages against fire protection engineers and consultants for alleged extensive failures in fire sprinkler systems, pumps, tanks and smoke detection systems in ACT Government buildings. Due to the early use of an expert it was revealed that the failure was not with the engineer but with the head contractor’s specifications and design that failed to comply with the Building Codes and Australian Standards avoiding costly litigation.
- Defended financial organisation in multiple claims brought in Financial Ombudsman service by individuals writing the superannuation funds following the 2008 global financial crisis.
- Successfully defended Supreme Court action, and again on Appeal, for professional indemnity insurer against project management and development company who made a claim for indemnity under the insurance policy which was excluded on a number of grounds.
- Acted for and advised amateur sporting organisations both in New South Wales and Queensland in relation to the removal of members and other administrative law issues.
Sharon Armstrong is a Special Counsel in Kennedys’ Sydney office. Before joining Kennedys in 2010, Sharon was a Partner in a leading insurance law firm for six years before working as Special Counsel for nine years.
Sharon’s practice spans personal injury law, public liability, administrative law, professional indemnity and commercial disputes. Her strengths include advocacy in a range of jurisdictions including the District Supreme Court, Court of Appeal and Federal Court of Australia.
Sharon leads cost-effective resolution of litigated and un-litigated claims, reaching commercially prudent settlements in Courts, Tribunals and the Financial Ombudsman service with an exceptional success rate at conciliation phase. As a subject matter expert she is sought out by clients and colleagues to consult on topics of concern and emerging areas of legal practice.
Sharon has been a local Court Arbitrator since 2002, where she develops solutions that minimise net harm to all parties on matters pertaining to debt, recovery of goods and vehicular accidents.
- Member of Australian law Association
- Member of Association for Woman in Insurance
- Member of Law society of New South Wales
- Member of Australia Professional Indemnity Group (AIPG)