- A Leading Individual for Dispute Resolution (band 4) – Market commentator says Patrick George is not only “highly regarded in the defamation area” specifically, but also as a “leading litigation lawyer” generally, one interviewee going so far as to identify “the quality of Patrick George’s advice” as a key “strength of the firm”.
Chambers and Partners Asia Pacific 2018 – Dispute Resolution.
- A Leading Individual for Media and Entertainment (band 3) – Sources say he has “a strong reputation” and is “highly regarded in the defamation area.”
Chambers and Partners Asia Pacific 2018 – Media and Entertainment.
- “Other Noted Practitioners” for Sports Law
Chambers and Partners Asia Pacific 2018 – Sports Law.
- A Recommended Lawyer for Dispute Resolution; Media and Insurance
Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2015 – 2018.
- ‘Patrick provides quality advice. He understands the commercial aspects of the industry.”
The Gracechurch report: Asia Pacific Insurance Law 2017 – Kennedys’ outstanding lawyers: Australia.
Patrick is the senior partner of Kennedys Australia. Based in the Sydney, Patrick brings over 35 years’ experience to his role as a leading expert in reputational risk and dispute resolution. Patrick is a trusted adviser to many high profile clients often involving sensitive and high value matters and significant media interest.
His expertise includes complex commercial disputes, defamation and privacy, insurance coverage, professional liability, directors’ and officers’ liability, international arbitration and sports law. He is also experienced in investigations and inquiries by ASIC, Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (APRA), the Ombudsman, ICAC and Royal Commissions.
In the 1980s, he acted against then Prime Minister Bob Hawke for Time Magazine and against NSW Premier Neville Wran. He acted for The Age newspaper for nearly 20 years, during which no judgment was entered against it in NSW. He was also involved in some of the largest commercial cases of the period and conducted international arbitrations in Paris, Hong Kong and Singapore.
Since joining Kennedys as a founding partner in 2006, Patrick has acted for two former Prime Ministers, the Australian Olympic Committee and its President John Coates, NSW Premier Kristina Keneally and Victoria Premier Ted Baillieu, NSW Supreme Court Justice Michael Adams and Ian Barker QC among many others.
Patrick is the author of the definitive subject text ‘Defamation Law in Australia’ (3rd Edition published by LexisNexis in 2017) and general editor and contributor to ‘Social Media and the Law’ (2nd Edition published by LexisNexis in 2016).