- Henry’s recent work highlights include acting for a major mechanical and electrical contractor in court, adjudication and arbitration proceedings pertaining to disputes arising out of the construction of Jewel Changi Airport, a S$1.7 billion retail and mixed development.
- Representing a high net worth client in High Court proceedings in defending a claim in excess of US$14 million. This is a complex case brought by a prominent shipping company (by way of counterclaim) against 5 other parties, including a listed company in India and various directors (past and current) and shareholders within the group of companies, in relation to certain credit facilities and securities which were issued as a result thereof. Challenging issues like tort of conspiracy, fraud, breach of fiduciary and common law duties of directors arise in this case.
- Acting for a prominent listed construction company in Singapore in domestic ad hoc arbitration pertaining to latent defects in a commercial building. The claim is in excess of S$1 million. The novel issue in this case is the defects were discovered after a retaining wall collapsed long after the warranty and statutory limitation periods have passed and if a claim in tort would not have expired by then. Other issues include causation and costs of rectification works.
- Instructed to defend a claim brought by a French company against a China company in international arbitration proceedings pertaining to a dispute concerning a Contract for Pitch and Reforming and Granulation Project in China. The novel issue in this case is whether the Claimant has locus standi to sue as the original contracting party became insolvent and the contract was transferred via a French Court Order, and parties did not agree to execute a novation agreement.
- Acted for a prominent listed developer in High Court proceedings in relation to alleged defects / sinking driveway of an industrial building in Ubi. It involves novel issues on duty of care of a developer and what is the normal industry practice of a developer vis-à-vis developments built on marine clay. The claim is in excess of S$10 million.
- Acted for a distress fund based in Europe in SIAC arbitration in a claim exceeding US$18 million regarding the issuance and redemption of bonds by an Indonesian poultry conglomerate. Successfully obtained an arbitral award for the amount claimed plus costs.
Henry is a Partner at Kennedys Legal Solutions. He is qualified in Singapore since 1998.
Henry specialises in commercial dispute resolution work. His practice covers a wide spectrum of work and as noted in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2016, “Henry Heng’s workload spans areas such as shipping, projects and energy, and construction.” Henry’s depth of experience includes international and domestic arbitration, litigation, mediation as well as adjudication under the Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act.
He has established a reputation in the industry as a commercially savvy and effective lawyer. Henry has a good grasp of issues as well as being able to provide viable commercial solutions. In the courtroom or before an arbitral tribunal, he is recognised as being quick-witted and a fiery advocate.
Henry is a Fellow of the Singapore Institute of Arbitrators, appointed as arbitrator on LSAS Panel of Arbitrators and SIArb. He is also an Associate Mediator with the Singapore Mediation Centre as well as the Law Society Mediation Scheme.
Henry speaks regularly at industry seminars and events, and has authored several publications relating to practical guidance on Contracts, as well as Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act. He is recognised by The Legal 500 as having a breadth of knowledge and acumen in commercial matters.