- Notable practitioner for 'Product Liability: Mainly Defendant (UK-wide)'
Chambers UK 2019
- Leading Individual for 'Product liability: defendant (London)'
The Legal 500 UK 2018/19
- Recommended Lawyer for 'Product liability: defendant (London)'
The Legal 500 UK 2018/19
- Included in the The Best Lawyers™in the United Kingdom 2019 for Product Liability Litigation (London)
- In The Gracechurch London Market Insurance Law Report 2016, a client noted: “I choose him for his technical knowledge and expertise in international matters.”
- He is a leading individual for Product liability in The Legal 500 UK 2016, and Chambers UK 2017 and 2018.
- He is a member of the Forum of Insurance Lawyers, British Institute of Comparative Law and the Product Liability Forum.
- Shane also lectures on international claims, pharmaceutical and clinical trials, arbitration and mediation. He has also published articles in journals and newspapers, including The Times.
- Qualified in England and Wales in 1981
Shane is a partner based in our London office and is one of our leading product liability lawyers. He qualified as a solicitor in 1981 and has extensive experience in handling international claims including, product liability (pharmaceutical, medical, consumer, and clinical trials) as well as employers’ liability, personal injury, loss of income, construction and engineering matters. He is also a qualified mediator by the Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution.
Shane has extensive experience handling and monitoring international and multi-jurisdiction claims on behalf of insurers and companies in various jurisdictions including Italy, France, Spain, Germany, Switzerland, Hungary, Turkey, U.A.E., India, Peru, Malta, Greece, Ghana, Thailand, China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia, Jordan, Norway, Denmark and New Zealand.
He has advised both manufacturers and insurers on a number of leading product liability disputes, class actions and international claims. He has also been retained by the UK government to act on behalf of the National Health Service in several group actions. Shane has acted for various pharmaceutical and clinical trials companies co-ordinating trans-national claims. He has also advised UCB Celltech and other companies in relation to cross-border clinical trial matters, as well as advising a major pharmaceutical company in relation to MMR claims. Shane has more than 25 years’ experience acting counsel in numerous international arbitration disputes since 1983 in jurisdictions that include Peru, UAE, Papua New Guinea and France. These were held under ICC or UNICITRAL.
He has been instructed on some of the markets most complex matters and high value matters, from acting for a major US manufacturer in relation to a US$150m defective products mass tort claim in Italy, to co-ordinating a global response to claims including the settlement of more than 500 claims in the UK.