- Successfully pursued the American supplier of industrial equipment through contractual adjudication following a £10million fire. Commenced enforcement proceedings in the Technology & Construction Court while contesting parallel proceedings in the Federal Court, Boston, Massachusetts, USA. The matter ultimately settled at mediation.
- Acted for the claimant appellants in the Court of Appeal regarding an arbitration clause with time bar in a public liability policy. Successfully argued that liability under an indemnity policy only accrued after the existence and amount of liability to a third party is established – William McIlroy (Swindon) Ltd and others v Quinn Insurance Ltd .
- Represented the claimant respondent in the Court of Appeal regarding the interpretation of a right to set off clause. The clause went further than the common law in permitting the defendant to set off “any amounts lawfully due”. Also arguing that the two contracts in question, a supply and installation contract, were not sufficiently linked to allow set off - Geldof Metaalconstructie NV v Simon Carves Ltd .
Bill is a partner in our London office and is an experienced litigator and dispute resolution specialist. He is dual qualified after qualifying in Queensland, Australia in 2006 and England and Wales in 2010.
Bill acts for contractors and insurers in substantial fire, flood and property damage claims, and on behalf of product liability insurers in claims regarding defective products that have led to property damage. He also assists both insurer and corporate clients in resolving high-value disputes (national and international) arising out of commercial contracts, construction projects and machinery supply contracts through adjudication and litigation.
Bill initially qualified in Queensland, Australia and spent two years working there as a solicitor before relocating to London. He also has experience of operating in a wide range of international jurisdictions including the United States, the Republic of Korea, Belgium, France and Switzerland.
He is a member of the Forum of Insurance Lawyers (FOIL).
- Qualified in Australia in 2006
- Qualified in England and Wales in 2010