- Representing political risk insurers in two LCIA arbitrations concerning the Indonesian coal sector.
- Representing marine war insurers in a US$350 million Commercial Court dispute with a Turkish energy company arising from the detention by the Pakistani authorities of a fleet of power generation vessels following allegations of corruption.
- Acting for contract frustration insurers on the successful recovery of a US$60 million debt owed by an African government.
- Representing political violence insurers and reinsurers in relation to claims for forced abandonment and physical damage arising from the conflicts in Iraq, Yemen, Libya and Ukraine.
- Representing marine cargo insurers in relation to two large claims concerning the alleged misappropriation of crude oil and refined products in Africa.
Andrew is a partner in our London office and is one of the leading lawyers in the political risk and credit insurance market.
He advises insurers and reinsurers in London, the US, Singapore and continental Europe on the adjustment and defence of claims under all types of political risk and credit policies, including confiscation (CEND), contract frustration, unfair calling of bonds, political violence, trade disruption, structured credit and trade credit policies.
He has handled claims involving investments into or trade with emerging markets in Africa, the Middle East, Asia, Latin America and Eastern Europe. His practice includes both High Court litigation and international arbitration under the rules of the LCIA and ICC.
Andrew also has extensive experience of advising insurers on recoveries following the payment of claims, including litigation, debt restructurings and insolvency proceedings.
In addition, Andrew represents marine insurers in relation to large, complex claims usually involving a political element.