- “one of the best of the Bermuda Bar”
- “outcome-oriented and very pleasant to work with”
- “on the bigger litigations, he is the one you’d go to if you needed a big player”
- “great litigator” and acclaiming “his experience, instinct, reputation and gravitas”
- “the reason we use him is because he’s very good at strategy and is commercially astute,”
- “a good appreciation for multi-jurisdictional matters and a great knowledge of insurance”
- “extremely effective as an advocate as well as being good in negotiations with the other side”
- “highly respected in the litigation field, particularly in relation to insurance disputes”
- “has extensive cross-border experience”
- “…a broad insurance and reinsurance practice that sees him acting on behalf of some of the industry's most prominent companies…Mark showed tremendous leadership, moving things along, corralling other lawyers and not adding expense to the matter.”
- Qualified in England and Wales in 1994
- Admitted in Bermuda in 1992
- Admitted in California in 1998
Mark is the lead partner of our Bermuda office and specialises in commercial litigation and arbitration that involves the insurance, financial services, and private client sectors.
He maintains an international practice and frequently represents clients on multi-jurisdictional matters, particularly involving the United States, having been admitted as an attorney in the State of California in 1998. After practicing at two leading firms in London for 16 years he established the Bermuda law firm, now known as Kennedys Chudleigh Ltd., in 2006.
Mark’s commercial litigation practice includes corporate, insolvency, trusts and insurance matters involving commercial entities in Bermuda, other British Overseas Territories, the United States, Europe and Asia.
Mark’s insurance practice covers all classes of business, including general liability (particularly the “Bermuda Form”), professional liability, directors’ and officers’ liability, financial institutions, product liability, financial reinsurance, property (including property catastrophe reinsurance), environmental liability, energy, construction, marine, cargo, satellites and space, motor, personal accident and workers compensation. He has particular expertise in relation to offshore professional risks in British Overseas Territories, including financial institutions, fund managers and administrators, captive managers, trust companies, accountants and law firms.
In 2013, he was elected to the Bermuda Bar Council. Mark sits on the Committee of the Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (Bermuda branch) and is a member of ARIAS, the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, the International Association of Restructuring, Insolvency & Bankruptcy Professionals (INSOL International) and the Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS).