- Litigated several multi-issue, multi-million dollar insurance coverage lawsuits before federal juries in New York City.
- Litigated all phases of dozens of insurance coverage actions venued in state and federal courts throughout the United States.
- Advised insurance clients on third-party and first-party policy coverage issues in complex non-litigated coverage matters.
- Represented an international restaurant chain in death cases arising from service of alcohol and failure to provide adequate security on premises, all resulting in favorable pre-trial settlements.
- Represented owners of an apartment complex in a death case involving elevator maintenance and configuration; settled on favorable terms at mediation.
- Representing a paratransit vehicle manufacturer in a suit alleging defective design of the structure and restraint systems resulting in death and serious personal injury.
- Represented a lawn mower manufacturer in a design defect suit resulting in traumatic amputation; defense verdict awarded at trial.
- US Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- US District Court, Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of Pennsylvania
- Washington & Lee University School of Law, JD, 1983
- Cornell University, BA, 1980
Ralph is a Partner in the Philadelphia office and an active trial attorney, handling large, complex commercial, insurance coverage and general liability matters. His trial experience includes many major jury and non-jury trials taken to verdict, as well as more than 100 matters tried before panels of arbitrators. Ralph has litigated complex multi-party insurance coverage and bad-faith disputes venued in jurisdictions throughout the country, and has tried cases in state and federal courts involving allegations of liability arising from products, premises (including design defects), aviation, restaurant operations (including dram shop liability), and municipal services and facilities.
Earlier in his career, Ralph served as an Assistant City Solicitor in the Litigation Division – Appellate Unit of the City of Philadelphia Law Department. In that capacity he handled post-trial motions and appeals, including numerous oral arguments before the Superior and Commonwealth Courts of Pennsylvania, and the US Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, many involving governmental immunity and civil rights issues.
As a former Treasurer and Board Member of a community association, Ralph has counselled community clubs and associations on legal duties, potential liabilities and insurance issues, and litigated matters involving municipal zoning.
Recognized by Pennsylvania Super Lawyers (2008-2020)