- Represented insured contractors and their insurer in ICC arbitration and in Greek proceedings in respect of multi-million claims under a public, products and professional liability policy for material damage and other losses arising out of an explosion at a power generation plant. Issues as to breach of contract, gross negligence, contribution and quantum.
- Acting for an insurer in a Bermuda Form dispute arising out of a chemical spill in the U.S. Issues as to reasonableness of the settlement and coverage.
- Acting for an insurer in a Bermuda Form dispute arising out of a defective product in the U.S. Coverage issues arising.
- Represented local insurers and international reinsurers in the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA) arbitration in respect of multi-million claims under an EAR/DSU/OAR/BI combined policy for unpaid premium in respect of the construction of a hydroelectric dam. Issue as to quantum. Also acting in and settling a second LCIA arbitration in respect of claims for EAR/DSU cover under the policy, including addressing issues of avoidance.
- Acted for local insurers and international reinsurers in respect of multi-million claims under a general liability policy for material damage, financial losses, environmental pollution, salvage and containment expenses, and defence costs cover due to fires/explosions at a gas terminal. Issues as to jurisdiction, coverage and coinsurance.
- Represented a reinsurer in English High Court proceedings in respect of multi-million claims under a Business Interruption Reinsurance policy arising out of a pot freeze incident at an aluminium smelter plant. Issues as to jurisdiction, validity and existence of the re/insurance and non-disclosure.
- Defended an international broker against multi-million claims for negligence in the arrangement of a marine insurance policy. Issues as to broker duties, breach, causation and insurance policy coverage.
- Represented a contractor in the LCIA and in the English High Court and Zambian proceedings in respect of multi-million claims for breach of contract. Issues as to jurisdiction, breach of contract and enforcement.
Katherine is a partner in our London office and co-Chair of Kennedys’ International Arbitration Group.
Katherine specialises in insurance, reinsurance and general commercial dispute resolution (litigation, arbitration including Bermuda Form and alternative dispute resolution) in the London and international markets. She often works on complex, high value, multi-jurisdiction disputes.
Her comprehensive insurance and reinsurance practice sees her act for reinsurers and brokers in the UK and international markets. Katherine’s main areas of expertise include property, liability, casualty, construction and engineering, onshore energy, fine art and specie, financial institutions, D&O and professional liability (particularly in respect of brokers’ negligence). She regularly deals with matters including law and jurisdiction, policy coverage, aggregation, subrogation, fraud and enforcement.
Katherine also acts for commercial clients in relation to UK and international contractual and tortuous disputes. She has been involved in a number of high profile and commercially sensitive matters, as well as a multitude of cases involving fraud.
As a result of her experience and having undertaken four secondments in the London market, she has considerable expertise in the practical and commercial aspects affecting the handling of claims and litigation.
Katherine is an Accredited Mediator by the Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution (CEDR) and is presently training to become an arbitrator. She is also an Executive Committee Member of the International Fine Art and Specie Insurance Conference and a member of the Forum of Insurance Lawyers.