- Handled claims of more than $10 million value in its pre-litigation, litigation and recovery stage
- Provided regulatory and corporate advice on a major deal between one of the biggest insurance companies in Colombia and an international insurance group
- Provided legal advice on one of the biggest directors’ and officers’ claims in Colombia
- Provided advice to international companies in expanding their business in Colombia
- Has developed policy wordings of directors’ and officers’, health, cyber and other products for the Colombian market.
Monica leads Kennedys’ Colombia office. She specializes in insurance and reinsurance, with a particular emphasis on corporate, regulatory advice, contracts, commercial and dispute resolution.
Monica is experienced in all the aspects of the insurance sector, having advised insurers, reinsurers and reinsurance brokers in Colombia and the UK in a variety of legal issues related to insurance, coverage disputes, liability, claim negotiations and mergers and acquisitions.
She has managed claims related to directors’ and officers’, bankers blanket bond, professional indemnity, maritime, machinery breakdown, cyber, liability, construction and contractors’ all risks (CAR) and business interruption. Monica also advises on coverage and policy drafting for all areas of insurance.
Monica has contributed to the product design and drafting of insurance policies and structuring of reinsurance programs in Colombia with international markets.
She regularly advises non-insurance clients on corporate, regulatory and commercial matters.
Monica worked in London at a large international insurance law firm, before returning to Royal and Sun Alliance (RSA) Colombia; with the last four years’ spent as General Counsel. Working for RSA Colombia, she led the due diligence, sale, and approval processes before regulators for purposes of the acquisition of RSA Latin America’s operations by Suramericana - the largest insurance transaction in the region in 2015.
- Qualified in Colombia in 2005