- Recognised by Who's Who Legal Insurance & Reinsurance 2019 Analysis
"Mark Chudleigh performs very well in this year's research into the insurance and reinsurance legal space. He has particular expertise in product liability, D&O, property and financial reinsurance."
Ranked as an 'Insurance and Reinsurance' leading individual and recommended lawyer (Tier 2) by The Legal 500: Caribbean 2019
- Notable practitioner (Band 1) for 'Insurance: Contentious' (Bermuda)
Mark Chudleigh is a well-regarded insurance disputes specialist and leads the firm's Bermuda office. He is noted by one source for "working on extremely complex matters." In the contentious insurance field, he assists with both litigation and arbitration, covering D&O liability and a variety of other matters.
Chambers Global 2019
- Notable practitioner (Band 2) for 'Dispute Resolution' (Bermuda)
Mark Chudleigh is well versed in arbitration and commercial litigation, with particular expertise in insurance and reinsurance. Sources comment: "He has excellent industry knowledge," adding that he "shows great leadership," and has great familiarity with the corporate and legal cultures in both the UK and USA.
Chambers Global 2019
- Ranked as an 'Insurance and Reinsurance' leading individual and recommended lawyer (Tier 3) by The Legal 500: Caribbean 2019
- "Calm, personable lawyer who mixes good commercial judgement with deep and broad knowledge on substantive issues of reinsurance contract law."
Chambers Global 2018
- “one of the best of the Bermuda Bar”
- “outcome-oriented and very pleasant to work with”
- “on the bigger litigations, he is the one you’d go to if you needed a big player”
- “great litigator” and acclaiming “his experience, instinct, reputation and gravitas”
- “the reason we use him is because he’s very good at strategy and is commercially astute,”
- “a good appreciation for multi-jurisdictional matters and a great knowledge of insurance”
- “extremely effective as an advocate as well as being good in negotiations with the other side”
- “highly respected in the litigation field, particularly in relation to insurance disputes”
- “has extensive cross-border experience”
- “…a broad insurance and reinsurance practice that sees him acting on behalf of some of the industry's most prominent companies…Mark showed tremendous leadership, moving things along, corralling other lawyers and not adding expense to the matter.”
- Qualified in England and Wales in 1990
- Admitted in Bermuda in 1992
- Admitted in California in 1998
Mark is the lead partner of our Bermuda office and specialises in commercial litigation and arbitration that involves the insurance, financial services, and private client sectors.
He maintains an international practice and frequently represents clients on multi-jurisdictional matters, particularly involving the United States, having been admitted as an attorney in the State of California in 1998. After practicing at two leading firms in London (including as managing partner) he established the Bermuda law firm, now known as Kennedys Chudleigh Ltd., in 2006.
Mark’s commercial litigation practice includes corporate, insolvency, trusts and insurance matters involving entities in Bermuda, other British Overseas Territories, the United States, Europe and Asia.
Mark’s insurance practice covers almost all classes of insurance and reinsurance business, including general liability (particularly the “Bermuda Form”), professional liability, directors’ and officers’ liability, financial institutions, product liability, property, environmental liability, energy, construction, marine, satellites and space,. He has particular expertise in relation to offshore professional risks in British Overseas Territories and Crown Dependencies, including financial institutions, fund managers and administrators, captive managers, trust companies, accountants and law firms.