- Leading individual and recommended lawyer in 'Dispute Resolution'
The Legal 500 Caribbean 2020
- Recommended lawyer in 'Insurance/Reinsurance'
The Legal 500 Caribbean 2020
- Recognised by Who's Who Legal Insurance & Reinsurance 2019 Analysis
"Alex Potts QC is a very well-regarded litigator who is frequently recognised by respondents for his expertise in insurance and reinsurance matters."
- Ranked as an 'Insurance and Reinsurance' leading individual and recommended lawyer (Tier 3) by The Legal 500: Caribbean 2019
- Notable practitioner (Band 1) for 'Dispute Resolution' (Bermuda)
Alex Potts QC took silk in 2018 and has a wealth of experience in both litigation and arbitration. Sources describe him as being "among the best" in Bermuda, with one client going so far as to call him "the cream of the crop: focused, knowledgeable, articulate, organised and forthright."
Chambers Global 2019
- Alex Potts is an "excellent lawyer" who advises on a wide array of complex issues. He has a "very good presence in court and in arbitration".
Who's Who Legal 2018
- Alex Potts is an experienced practitioner who is noted by interviewees for his insolvency expertise. He also handles a wide range of other commercial disputes, including insurance, trusts and investment funds cases. Sources say: "He is very good lawyer in terms of analysing the law. His written work is first-class and he is an effective advocate."
Chambers Global 2018
- Alex Potts is an "excellent litigator", who is "always well prepared and on top of the issues"., Alex Potts is "highly responsive and client focused".
Legal 500 2017/2018
- Qualified in England and Wales
- Qualified in Bermuda
- Qualified in Cayman Islands
Alex is a partner in our Bermuda office. He is admitted as a barrister and an attorney in Bermuda and in England and Wales, and he was appointed as a Queen’s Counsel of England and Wales in 2018. Alex was also admitted to the Cayman Islands Bar in 2005.
With a particular focus on complex disputes, Alex handles matters in the fields of banking, financial services, investment funds, (re)insurance, professional negligence, company law, trusts, asset recovery and contentious insolvency; his practice also extends to matters of public, constitutional and administrative, regulatory, telecommunications, employment, planning, and environmental law.
Alex has conducted cases and appeared as leading counsel before a variety of first-instance and appellate courts, arbitration tribunals, and regulatory tribunals, in England and Wales, Bermuda and the Cayman Islands. He is frequently instructed as counsel in ‘Bermuda Form’ international insurance arbitrations, and associated legal proceedings.
Alex has also provided expert evidence on Bermuda law and English law for use in foreign legal proceedings.
Alex is a member of a number of professional organizations including: INSOL International, COMBAR, and the Chancery Bar Association.
He is also an active member of the Legal Focus Group and the Trust Law Reform Sub-Committee of the Bermuda Business Development Agency, a committee member (currently the Secretary) of the Restructuring and Insolvency Specialists Association of Bermuda, and an appointed member of Bermuda’s Copyright Tribunal.
Alex is the author of many publications on issues of Bermuda law, and he is regularly invited to speak at conferences and seminars, both in Bermuda and internationally.