- A Recommended Lawyer for 'Insurance (Australia)'
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020
- Leading Lawyer in Chambers UK and Legal 500 UK, and in the Superlawyers UK. Consistently named as one of the Acritas Stars with the quote “Leading litigator in his field”.
- Leading Individual for Professional Negligence: Financial UK (band 4) – “He is very sensible and advocates for his clients in a firm but measured way."
Chambers UK 2016
- Recommended lawyer for Insurance and Dispute Resolution
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2017
- “He's approachable and he listens. He takes on board people's views. He can be pretty candid with his feedback which is good; you get objective opinions”.
The Gracechurch Report: UK Insurance Law 2016
- “He is articulate, intelligent, concise and skilled. He is also user – friendly and has a good team. He is very good lawyer.” One of his clients also said “I have worked with him on more claims than anyone else, and I always got results”.
The Gracechurch report: Asia pacific Insurance Law 2017
- Listed in 2018 edition of Euromoney’s Global Guide to the World’s Leading Insurance and Reinsurance Experts as one of the leading practitioners in the world
Matt is Managing Partner of Kennedys in Australia and a member of the Global Strategy Board. Matt was based in Kennedys’ London office for 21 years before relocating to Australia in 2015.
Matt has broad experience across multiple insurance lines and has acted in professional indemnity and financial lines matters on behalf of accountants, trustees, independent financial advisors, construction professionals and brokers. He has considerable experience advising on coverage issues including aggregation and year of account issues, and on multi-layer programmes.
Matt’s insurance / reinsurance practice includes significant experience advising on the interpretation of multi line global master policies, for financial institutions, casualty, property/energy and mining. He has acted on cases arising from the "pinking" of white uPVC windows, the insolvency of offshore trust structures, the Enron, Worldcom, IPO laddering and Madoff financial scandals, oil pollution, the failure of propulsion units on cruise ships, the destruction of a major retail distribution centre by fire, and a variety of catastrophic events including Hurricane Katrina, the Varanus Island gas explosion, the flooding of mines in Queensland, the Thai floods, the Great East Asian Japanese Earthquake and Tsunami, various geotechnical failures and the Kennecott mine collapse.
He regularly advises markets of insurers or reinsurers on matters of English or Australian law, or acts as co-coordinating counsel where disputes are governed by other laws or jurisdictions including in Japan, Taiwan, New Zealand and the US.
- Dual qualified in England and Australia