- First chaired trials for major property & casualty insurers in declaratory judgment actions regarding coverage for breast implant and asbestos bodily injury claims.
- First chaired trial and obtained multi-million dollar judgment for major property & casualty insurer in asbestos bodily injury coverage action.
- First chaired trial and obtained judgment in adversary proceeding in bankruptcy matter involving claims against asbestos product manufacturer debtor.
- Obtained summary judgments on behalf of construction industry clients in litigation involving defective construction and/or construction site injuries.
- US District Court, Northern, Central and Southern Districts of Illinois
- US District Court, Northern and Southern District of Indiana
- IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law, JD, 1988
- University of Dubuque, BA, 1984
Jim is a Partner in the Chicago office and focuses on the representation and counsel of insurance companies in litigation and disputes involving insurance coverage issues. Jim also represents construction industry clients in litigation involving allegations of defective construction and/or workplace injuries, product manufacturers in toxic tort and products liability litigation, and corporate clients in commercial litigation.
Jim has represented insurers throughout the country in a variety of contexts, including actions regarding coverage under commercial general liability, professional liability, EIL, builder’s risk, and other types of insurance policies. He has provided coverage analysis and has litigated, in court and through mediation and arbitration, claims and cases involving insurance coverage for mass tort liability claims (including asbestos, lead paint, latex, breast implants, tobacco, and polybutylene pipes), environmental claims, defective construction claims, professional liability and legal malpractice claims.
Jim has first-chair trial experience in complex coverage litigation and has served as lead negotiator in a variety of complex insurance coverage settlements. He also represents insurers in connection with coverage issues arising in the context of bankruptcy proceedings involving debtors facing overwhelming losses from asbestos and other mass tort liability claims.
Jim has also served as lead counsel for domestic and international clients in cross-border corporate acquisitions, leading teams in the US and Europe covering a wide range of specialties including corporate, employment law, property and health and safety.
Prior to law school, Jim worked in the Chicago office of the Federal Bureau of Investigations where he participated in investigations of public and judicial corruption and fraud.
Recognized as a Leading Lawyer – Leading Lawyer Network (2013)